This is my third article in this series. If you haven’t read the others yet, you can find them here.
The subject I’m sharing with you today is one of my favorite because it was the hardest for me to learn.
I’m sharing it because part of the human experience is realizing that we don’t get everything we want in the timeframe we think we should have it, and that’s ok.
Mistake #3: Impatience
Impatience is a goal killer because the truth is that we all have human bodies, and those bodies have loads of things going on at any one time.
We think that because we start doing weight-loss producing activities that the results should be immediate, but the truth is that our bodies will drop weight when we are in a caloric deficit when it is ready, not when you are ready.
How many times have you been doing all of the right things, thinking your weight has dropped, then you get on the scale and see no change at all? It happens. It doesn’t mean anything has gone wrong.
What is wrong is when we make it things like:
- I’m a failure
- I’ll never lose weight
- Losing weight is for everyone else but not for me
- Something’s wrong with me
- I’m getting too old to lose weight
- I’ll always be fat
- Or a myriad of other really crappy thoughts that are totally useless and not true.
What if instead you chose to look at it from the perspective of the woman who already achieved the goal. It’s done; in the bag. How would she look at your situation? What would she say? Probably things like:
- Keep committing, you’ll get there!
- I know exactly how to lose weight!
- Everything is right on track!
- I know how to take exceptional care of myself!
- My dream is worth my time!
- I’m learning patience with this experience!
- This is happening for me!
- Results are in the bag!
- You got this!
- Just keep going!
The key is to not get stuck in the moment. Think ahead of how your future self would show up for you, and follow her every day until you get to your goal.
Be patient my friends. Believe you will get there, and you absolutely will.
If you need help with impatience, schedule a solution session with me here. I’d love to help you take the next steps on your journey.